PROFESSIONAL CONTINUING EDUCATION
Pelvic Rehab Manual Assessment & Treatment Techniques
With COVID-19 delaying large in-person continuing education courses, Essential Pelvic Health is now offering this exciting new hands-on training with Laura Rowan, OT/L Pelvic Rehab Specialist. This course is designed to build confidence and skill with pelvic floor internal and external assessments, as well as develop manual treatment techniques for pelvic rehab therapists (OT/PT).
This course is for you if:
- You are new to pelvic health or are looking to get started.
- You are a practicing pelvic health therapist looking for review and to further build your manual skills.
Listen to what OTs in the field have to say after taking Laura and Lindsey’s OT Pelvic Floor Courses.
Please note: Limited space available to maintain an intimate learning experience supporting COVID-19 safety regulations.
Overview of interview process and communication for internal/external assessments.
Internal and external manual assessment techniques of pelvic floor musculature and surrounding structures.
Documentation & analysis of findings, and development of appropriate treatment protocols.
Manual treatment techniques to restore mobility and strength for balance throughout the musculoskeletal, fascial, vascular, and nervous systems.
Development of therapeutic exercise programs, ADL/IADL management, and home programs.
Evidence-based manual evaluation and treatment techniques will be emphasized with outcome measures and competencies indicating learned lessons for the course work. The therapist will learn to: 1) identify key signs and symptoms of impairment, 2) demonstrate competency in assessing the pelvic floor muscles and surrounding structures. 3) demonstrate efficiency in developing intervention protocols and applying learned manual skills. Clinical treatment interventions will include internal/ external manual therapy, therapeutic exercise/ neuromuscular reeducation, ADL/IADL management, biofeedback, patient related education, psychosocial and bio- mechanical approaches, mindfulness and breathing strategies, and nervous system regulation.
This course is geared towards Occupational Therapists, though all appropriately licensed professionals are encouraged and welcome.
Please inquire about special accommodations if unable to participate in being a model during manual lab lessons.
Recommended Complimentary Coursework: OT Pioneers: Introduction to Pelvic Floor Therapy for Occupational Therapists. Lindsey Vestal, The Functional Pelvis.
Herman & Wallace has recognized 1) Pelvic Rehab Manual Assessment & Treatment Techniques, and 2) OT Pioneers as equivalent course work to PF1. Students who have taken the afore mentioned courses will be allowed to fast track to PF2A/B
COVID-19 screening and precautions required.
A few considerations when looking for a model and/or participant
- Ideally, the model would be another participant so they can gain the benefits of the whole experience. There is great value in having the opportunity to be a model as well to experience receiving the internal work. I will assist in networking to locate professionals in your area.
- If the model cannot be another participant, the model does not have to be the same for the entire course. It would be beneficial to have a variety of models if possible, though not necessary.
- Potential clients, friends, or current clients that may be interested in volunteering to receive the free assessment and treatment benefits of being a model. Please do not include individuals with a lot of pain or who are pregnant.
- Consider other wellness professionals in your area who would be a good referral source for example: NP’s, MD’s, Midwives. The professionals who are able to attend and will benefit from this course are required to have a license that permits internal work. Massage therapists and LAC’s are not able to attend per their scope of practice.
Remote Site HOST Discounts And FREE Scholarship Opportunities
Please contact me if you are interested in hosting a small remote group. The host will receive a 20% discount for hosting 2-3 participants (in addition to host). A free scholarship will be granted for hosting 4 or more participants. I will also assist in filling host site locations that participants can safely travel within individual state COVID-19 travel advisories.
Lodging For In-Person Course
I am able to accommodate up to 6 participants to stay at my home during the course maintaining social distancing space. My basement level will be dedicated to the course which includes 4 rooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom. This will be a first come first serve basis at no cost to the participant. You will need to bring your own pillows and bedding. Please email me for details and to reserve your spot if desired. There are surrounding motels, hotels, inns, and bed and breakfast options for lodging. Please ask for assistance if needed.
Full refund if learner cancels prior to 2 weeks of the course. 300$ non-refundable if learner cancels within 2 weeks of the course. Forfeit of full course tuition if cancellation is within 48 hours of course start date (unless due COVID-19 related reasons with supporting documentation from healthcare provider or travel restrictions).
Payment plans available upon request with full payment required prior to start of course date.
Cancellation Policy waived if due to COVID-19 travel restriction changes. Full refunds will be granted or credit placed towards future dates per learner’s preference.